Robert D.S. Kim Attorney Profile
Kealakekua, HI Attorney At Law
- William S. Richardson School of Law, University of Hawaii; Awarded Juris Doctor, May 1986, Member, University of Hawaii Law Review, Who’s Who in American Law Schools 1985, American Inn of Court 1985-86
- University of Hawaii at Hilo, Awarded Bachelor of Arts Degree, Political Science, December 1979. Dean’s List, Selected Who’s Who Among Students in American Colleges and Universities, 1975–76; President, Associated Students of the University of Hawaii at Hilo College, 1976-77
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND ADMISSSIONS
- Member, West Hawaii Bar Association,
- Member, Hawaii State Bar Association
- Association of Trial Lawyers of American
- President, West Hawaii Bar Association, 2011-2012; 2008-2010; 1993-1995;1992-1993; 1991-1992
- Board of Directors, Hawaii State Bar Association, West Hawaii, 1993-1995
- State and Federal Courts of Hawaii - 1986
- Unites States Tax Court – 1986 (inactive)
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States Supreme Court -1989
ROBERT D.S. KIM, INC., A HAWAII LAW CORPORATION
President, 1999 to Present
Civil Litigation, Commercial, Civil, Real Estate, Environmental, Family and Criminal Law (State and Federal Courts)
KIM & POWELL, ATTORNEYS AT LAW
Partner, 1996 to 1998
Litigation Attorney, Commercial, Civil, Family and Criminal Law (State and Federal Courts)
ROBERT D.S. KIM, ATTORNEY AT LAW
Sole Practitioner, 1994 - 1996
Litigation Attorney, Commercial, Civil, Real Estate, Environmental, Family and Criminal Law (State and Federal Courts)
CARLSMITH BALL WICHMAN MURRAY CASE MUKAI & ICHIIKI
Associate, Kona Office, 1990 - 1994
Litigation Attorney, General Commercial, Civil, Family and Criminal Law
OFFICE OF THE CORPORATION COUNSEL, CITY AND COUNTY OF HONOLULU
Deputy Corporation Counsel, 1990
Civil Litigation, assigned to trial litigation, flood litigation unit. Duties included representing the City and County in mass tort actions. Handled litigation arising out of the Kailua flood of December 31, 1987. Responsibilities included taking/defending approximately 90 depositions, interviewing, witnesses, arguing and opposing motions and all phases of pretrial work.
EZRA O’CONNOR MOON & TAM
Associate, 1987 to 1990
Civil Litigation, including construction, lender liability, commercial, personal injury defense, and collections law. Duties include all phases of pretrial activity, interviewing clients, planning and conducting discovery, preparing witnesses for deposition, deposing witnesses, researching issues, writing and arguing substantive and procedural motions, second-chairing a probable cause hearing in a 10 million dollar mechanic’s lien action . Areas of focus: lender liability and construction actions.
HONORABLE PHILIP T. CHUN, ADMINISTRATIVE JUDGE, 14TH DIVISION
CIRCUIT COURT OF THE FIRST CIRCUIT
Law Clerk, 1986-1987
Civil Motions and Probate Court. Duties include analyzing motions and petitions, researching issues, and briefing the Court.
UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF TREASURY, OFFICE OF THE DISTRICT COUNSEL
INTERNAL REVENUE SERVICE, DENVER, COLORADO
Duties included researching issues, drafting 90-day letters, and assisting attorneys in all aspects of tax litigation.
JAMES A. WAGNER, A LAW CORPORATION
Law Clerk, 1984-1985
Bankruptcy. Duties included researching and writing memoranda on various issues in the Ronald Rewald bankruptcy matter on behalf of the Trustee James A. Wagner.
SCHUTTER PAVEY & CAYETANO
Law Clerk, Summer 1984
Personal Injury, Litigation and Personal Injury. Duties included interviewing clients, conducting site inspections, and writing substantive and procedural motions in the personal injury and criminal law areas.
SENATE COMMITTEE ON THE JUDICIARY, HAWAII STATE SENATE
Committee Clerk, 1982-1983
Hawaii State Capitol, Legislative. Duties included managing the Senate Judiciary Committee and the legislative process and overseeing the administrative staff.
SENATE COMMITTEE ON THE HEALTH, HAWAII STATE SENATE
Legislative Assistant, 1981
Hawaii State Capitol, Legislative. Duties included assisting the Chairman Dante K. Carpenter with legislative matters involving the Department of Health and the legislative process.
ARTICLES AND PUBLICATION
- Recent Development, Local Government Tort Liability: Common Law Application of the "Special Relationship" Doctrine - Cootey v. Sun Investment, published University of Hawaii Law Review, Vol. 7, No. 2, p. 575
- Hawaii State Senate, Co-Author: Report of the Senate Committee on Judiciary: "Special Investigation into Allegations of Brutality Against Inmates of the Oahu Community Correctional Center Arising From and of the Procedures Utilized in the Prison Shakedown," January 25, 1983.
- Member, Saddle Road Task Force (appointment by U.S. Senator Daniel Inouye) 1995-Present. The Task Force has worked with state, federal and military personnel to guide the development of the cross-island highway and assist the Senator with input from the community.
- Arbitrator, Arbitration Program, Circuit Court of the Third Circuit, 1990-Present
- Contract Counsel for Na Loio clients involved in domestic violence situations 2006-2010 (continue to assist Na Loio on a case by case analysis on a pro bono basis). This assignment involved assisting the most vulnerable members of our society, namely immigrants who are unable to converse in English, and are susceptible to domestic and financial abuse. Assistance for temporary restraining orders and divorces. Coordinate with local agencies and churches to seek out these individuals. Referrals and coordination with the domestic abuse shelters in Kona, to assist families.
- Represent court appointed indigent clients in the criminal courts in the Third Circuit since 1994 to the present.
- Provide indigent persons of Hawaiian decent, and organizations involving legal actions involving infringement of native Hawaii rights, and religious rights
- Provide free legal representation for environmental groups and organizations in West Hawaii involving protection of the natural environment
- Participate in public interest litigation on a pro bono or reduced cost involving violation of Hawaii’s Sunshine Law and voting and reapportionment issues
APPELLATE EXPERIENCE (Published Opinions)
- Gump v. Walmart, 93 Haw. 428, 5 P.3d 418 (Ct. App 1999)
- In Re Doe Ex Rel Doe, 91 Haw App. 166, 981 P.2d 723 (Ct. App. 1999)
- Kapa’akai O Ka’ina v. Land Use Comm’n, 94 Haw. 31, 7 P. 3rd 1068 (S. Ct. 2000)
- Solomon et al. v. Abercrombie et al, 2012 WL 56754 (Jan. 4, 2012)(reapportionment)
Civil and Felony criminal jury trials, district court trials, circuit court civil and criminal non-jury trials, juvenile criminal trials
If you're in need of experienced legal representation, call our office today at 808-323-2100.